A Brief Introduction

I am currently an Elementary Education major at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Al. I am an aspiring 2nd grade teacher. I would settle for 1st grade or Kindergarten, but I do not really want to enter the upper elementary grades. I welcome any advice you have to offer!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Personal Teaching Philosophy

As I teacher, I want to remember what it was like to be a student. I want to portray the values that I loved about my teachers. I value creativity. Thinking outside the box is one of the best ways to improve. Another method of improving is having diverse perspectives. If you can see things from a different point of view, you can accommodate everyone's needs. This will give me new ways of thinking which, in turn, will give me new methods of teaching. I have to focus on personal development and learning if I want my students to benefit from my teaching. I want to have a sense of humor in the classroom as well. I've been told that a sense of humor is very important. You have to learn to laugh at yourself if you make a mistake because, otherwise, your students are laughing at you, not with you. I've taken this advice to heart. I also want a sense of humor to make the learning more fun and interesting. If I become bored with a lesson, I can't expect the students to pay attention.

I want to take charge in the classroom from the very beginning. I don't want to be a dictator, but I'm not going to tolerate nonsense. This is going to take some self discipline on my part because I am known for letting people get away with things sometimes. This can't be the case in the classroom. Otherwise, I know I will have a terrible year. I have to show my authority. The students need to respect me. I'm also hoping that along with respect for me, they will appreciate me. This makes for a much better relationship. I will respect my students, and I will appreciate the effort they make in class.

I plan on collaborating with fellow teachers as well. I want to find a mentor. I'll feel much better if I have someone I can trust and go to for advice. The scariest part of teaching, for me, is dealing with the unexpected issues. Those seem to be pretty common. I have confidence that I can handle them, but I'm a person who likes to plan ahead and those situations don't always allow that. I also want to build a community within my classroom, and maybe even within my grade level. I want the parents to be involved as much as they would like to be. I'll also need to ask favors from my parents, and, if I get to know them and build a strong community with them, they will probably be more likely to volunteer.

The most important thing for me as a teacher is to make sure my students learn, and to try my best to make the learning enjoyable. For this, I have to be fair and honest with my students. I need to show a good balance between compassion and authority. Teaching is a profession where tough love is a necessity sometimes. I am committed to education. I hope my students become as enthusiastic as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment